Free Press letters, Aug 23, 2006
Re: Mean-spirited brand spoof is no joke (Aug. 22).
I haven't seen the photo mocking Manitoba's "Spirited Energy" branding, but I'll accept Gordon Sinclair's version of it. Mr. Sinclair admits to finding the picture of the super-imposed "Spirited Energy" logo over three men passed out at a bus stop highly amusing, until he notices that two of the men are of aboriginal appearance.
So, let me get this straight. Does Mr. Sinclair feel it's OK to laugh at these people in the picture if they are white? I've seen many such sights in my travels around the world and in Winnipeg itself, and I can tell you that my first emotion is one of sorrow, regardless of a person's race, that people can become so despondent and sink so low, not one of humour, as Mr. Sinclair's first emotion was.
It is well-known that Mr. Sinclair is a champion of aboriginal rights, and if his intentions are pure in that regard, he should be commended. However, any person who admittedly exhibits a basic contempt towards unfortunate people by laughing at their misfortune, until he realizes they are a part of his celebrated cause, cannot be considered a true humanist and is a champion of no one.
WALTER D. HICKEY
Sandy Hook
Ethnicity shouldn't matter
I am glad that Gordon Sinclair thinks it is racist to laugh at images of aboriginal people who appear to be homeless. It is sad that it appears he did not think it is just as hateful to laugh at images of homeless people regardless of their ethnicity.
DOUG SMITH
Winnipeg

<< Home